An SK-II Film
“VS MACHINES” is a tribute film to Japan’s first ever Olympic badminton doubles Gold medalists Ayaka Takahashi and Misaki Matsutomo. Directed by Alan Williams in collaboration with WPP, the film explores a futuristic dystopia where competition is the main reason for existence.
Learn more about SKII Beauty Is #NoCompetition Campaign
what we did.
“Our main creative challenge was to take the all-too-common reality of toxic expectations faced by all women – not just Takahashi and Matsutomo – and repackage it in a way that made the viewer see it with new eyes and truly feel it. Through the poetic language of human-turned-robots and a towering kaiju, I feel our team did just that. I couldn’t be more excited to share this with the world.” – Alan Williams, Director
A bespoke soundtrack was created by Eclectic Sounds who composed and designed the track as the story was developed.
- director: alan williams
- producers: christine hernandez, jon hassell, aleen kim, jared libitsky
- writers: leo savage, alan williams
- lead design & art direction: russ gautier
- cg technical direction: russ gautier, meng-yang lu
- lead animator: james gardner
- cg character design: kelton cram
- animators & compositors: james gardner, jake ferguson, henry chang, blaise hossain
matt shadis, jesse bafia, daniel onassis
- character animation: evan mayfield, matt parent
- designer & animator: sekani solomon
- editors: jeremiah shuff, lexi gunvaldson
- vfx animation: russ gautier
- storyboards: tyler gibb
- researcher & translator: sakuya mio
- production coordinator: tucker reese
- executive producer: jon hassell
- executive creative director: peter frankfurt