Emmy-winning Main Title for Starz
Counterpart delves into an intricate world of parallel dimensions, doppelgängers and secrets. Director Karin Fong visually explored the ‘template of destiny,’ playing with themes of isolation, paranoia and repetition, ultimately posing the question, “are we able to alter our path or is life’s course predetermined?”
what we did
We were given access to Counterpart’s main set, a government building in fictional Berlin, to collect imagery from the production design. We folded patterns from the set design into a landscape directly inspired by classic Berlin architecture. To learn more, watch the ‘making of’ video below featuring Show Creator and Executive Producer Justin Marks.
The main title was recognized by the Television Academy at the 2018 Creative Arts Emmy Awards for Outstanding Main Title Design. It also took home the top prize at the SXSW Film Festival and the PromaxBDA Awards. Watch a conversation with Creative Director Karin Fong and Counterpart Creator Justin Marks below.
- director: karin fong
- producer: maggie robinson
- lead animator/designer: jake ferguson
- designers: filipe carvalho, nathan lee
- animator/compositor: kiyoon nam
- flame artist: rod basham
- editor: zach kilroy
- additional editor: lin wilde
- additional visual research: wes yang, david orwasky
- head of production: franceska bucci
- executive producer: chris hill